Thursday, January 11, 2024
Righteousness Unto Holiness IV
Ancient Babylon was an invincible world power in its day built up to its height by the most successful king in the history of the expansive empire, Nebuchadnezzar, who ruled from 605 BC to the time of his death in 562 BC. Nebuchadnezzar fulfilled the prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem by besieging for 30 months. He instructed Nebuzaradan Captain of The Guard a senior officer and ambassador of Babylon to destroy Solomon’s Temple and cart away all the Gold and items of great worth. Nebuzaradan ensured King Jehoiakim as well as descendants of royal stock were captured and brought to Babylon to serve in the king’s court. They were to be trained in the Babylonian language and literature. Jerusalem experienced a brain drain during this period as the cream of the crop was selected to serve as privileged slaves in Babylon.
3 Then the king instructed Ashpenaz, the master of his eunuchs, to bring some of the children of Israel and some of the king’s descendants and some of the nobles, 4 young men in whom there was no blemish, but good-looking, gifted in all wisdom, possessing knowledge and quick to understand, who had ability to serve in the king’s palace, and whom they might teach the language and literature of the Chaldeans. 5 And the king appointed for them a daily provision of the king’s delicacies and of the wine which he drank, and three years of training for them, so that at the end of that time they might serve before the king. 6 Now from among those of the sons of Judah were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. 7 To them the chief of the eunuchs gave names: he gave Daniel the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abed-Nego.Daniel 1:3-7 NKJV
Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah
These four men managed to stay by the grace of Jehovah in a spiritual relationship with one another. First, they refused to gorge themselves on the food of the palace and chose to be tested on vegetables for 10 days. When examined they were found to be better in appearance than the ones who ate the king’s diet.
8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. 9 Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs. 10 And the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, “I fear my lord the king, who has appointed your food and drink. For why should he see your faces looking worse than the young men who are your age? Then you would endanger my head before the king.”
11 So Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then let our appearance be examined before you, and the appearance of the young men who eat the portion of the king’s delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your servants.” 14 So he consented with them in this matter, and tested them ten days.Daniel 1:8-14 NKJV
They won the test because after 10 days they were found to appear better than those who gorged on the king’s diet. See Daniel 1:15-19
Keeping Good Company
Interestingly these 4 Hebrew children had something unique. They trusted in God while in Babylonian captivity and they had a solid fellowship between them. They formed their small group/church in Babylon. When the king was enraged and decided to kill all his wise men including Daniel and his friends over a dream he had forgotten Daniel called a special vigil and God revealed the secret.
17 Then Daniel went to his house, and made the decision known to Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, his companions, 18 that they might seek mercies from the God of heaven concerning this secret, so that Daniel and his companions might not perish with the rest of the wise men of Babylon. 19 Then the secret was revealed to Daniel in a night vision. So Daniel blessed the God of heaven.Daniel 2:17-19 NKJV
These young men had other experiences proving God to be a Mighty Deliverer subjecting the demon gods of Babylon to ridicule. The 3 were saved from a fiery furnace and Daniel from the lion’s den.
This present age has the trappings of evil Babylon. We as God’s people must stay connected to one another and to our Father in Heaven. These are times when we must explore faith fasting and prayer just as Daniel and company did. They went further in their faith, deeper with God in their own time and context. They remained faithful to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They fasted and prayed ther way into their destiny. We serve the same God and can remain faithful too.
Hear the Lord God’s testimony about some men of old including Daniel
12 The word of the Lord came again to me, saying: 13 “Son of man, when a land sins against Me by persistent unfaithfulness, I will stretch out My hand against it; I will cut off its supply of bread, send famine on it, and cut off man and beast from it. 14 Even if these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness,” says the Lord God.Ezekiel 14:14 NKJV
Go Deeper! Righteousness Unto Holiness in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
Let Us Pray
Enjoy some worship and Host The Presence Of God
Please use the verses provided below for prayer. We are following the Model Prayer Template
- Psalm 66. Give thanks to God for the completion of Day 5. Ask for continued strength to complete the fast for yourself and others embarking on this fast. Thank God for His answers in this regard.
- Ephesians 1:15-21. Praise our Father that He works in us both to will and do of his good pleasure. May the words of our mouths and the meditation of our hearts be acceptable unto Him. Amen!
- Matthew 6:9 Jeremiah 10:6-10. Hallow (honor and respect greatly) His name. Praise Him within the context of His names such as Provider, Warrior, Helper, Saviour, Protector, Healer, etc. For example, you can say: “Heavenly Father, I worship you for you are my Saviour, Helper, and Provider…” and continue in that manner.
- Matthew 6:10, Hebrews 6:9. Pray that you know His will and that it be done in your life in every area. Pray that better things that accompany salvation will be formed in and through you in Jesus’ name. Pray like this for your family and others the Lord brings to your attention. Pray specifically that you will receive grace to do righteous acts.
- Matthew 6:11, Psalm 35:27, Psalm 34:10. Ask for Provision for you and anyone else on your mind. Ask for provision for the Church of Jesus across your city as well as all who serve in full or part-time Ministry. Pray for your neighbors even if you do not like them. Ask God to reveal Himself to them if they are unsaved. The Lord will be pleased! 🙂
- Matthew 6:12. Forgive anyone who offended you and ask for His cleansing for known and unknown trespasses. Forgive your spouse, your parents, and your children for any mistakes or grievous sins against you. Let it go in Jesus name!
- Matthew 6:13b, Ephesians 6:10-12, Psalm 35:1-8. Here’s what I am confessing: “Lord thank you for the authority given to me in Jesus’ name. With that authority, I stand to declare victory over every wile of satan in Jesus Mighty Name.”
- Matthew 6:13c, Revelation 11:15. Praise Him for His Kingdom Power and dominion are forever. Glory Hallelujah!